Social Media

home about daily reads fitness

Monday, September 17, 2012

Bucket List: Sound of Music Tour in Salzburg, Austria

I could barely contain my excitement as we got closer to where we were meeting our bus!We wandered, mystified through the Mirabel gardens, which is where the filmed several scenes from the movie. My cousin Hannah and I tried to re-enact several scenes from the movie, running around the fountains, running through the hedges, jumping up and down the steps (there are outtakes of these shenanigans, but I think my aunt accidentally on purpose didn't post them on shutterfly) Then it was time for the tour! My sister did the tour earlier in the summer while she was in Austria, and my parents had also done it a few weeks before I got there, and we all ended up having the same tour guide, who used to live near Orlando, how strange! All 4 of us going on the tour, in 3 separate groups, in the same summer, and getting the same guy.

Let me back up to why I even cared about this. My mom grew up loving the movie as a child, and we owned it on VHS, so my sister and I watched it a lot when we were little, and my sister and I used to crack up at the part when Julie Andrew's is approaching the Von Trapp house for the first time, singing the "Confidence" song (which yes, I am listening to right now), and she stumbles and trips, then marches up to the house like nothing happened, which we thought was the most hilarious thing in the world. It's still pretty funny. (I tried finding a clip, but no luck :() So that is the backstory of the love of this movie, plus the music is awesome. I LOVE musicals (Oklahoma, Sound of Music and Wicked are my favorites, do not judge). So going on this tour was a dream come true. I went with my cousin and aunt (who also loves the movie, and cried several times, as I did). The songs that get me are Maria (my mom), Edelweiss, Climb Evry Mountain and The Lonely Goatherd, they always make me laugh and cry at the same time). My cousin and I were the only ones singing on this "interactive" tour, and we sounded awful because no one else was joining in, but we didn't care. The tour took us into the mountains to see some of the sites where things were filmed (gazebo, back of house, lake, church where she gets married, abbey scenes) They actually shot some of the scenes in the US, and ran into some SNAFU's while trying to film in Austria. It was so cool to listen to be listening to the music on this bus, in the middle of the Alps, going to visit these places where they filmed this movie. 

So I'm a dork, who cares! I loved it!

Yodel-eh-he-hoo! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment