Social Media

home about daily reads fitness

Friday, May 24, 2013

Blog Every Day in May

Wow...I set out to blog every day in May, was given interesting prompts, and even wrote posts, but end up posting less frequently than normal. Fail...

Anyways, I will attempt to catch up....

Day 12, Sunday: What do you miss? (a person, a thing, a place, a time of your life...)
I miss being young and careless. In middle school, I wasn’t the most popular kid, I was awkward with the whole package of awkwardness: braces, glasses(tinted blue no less so my eyes wouldn’t be damaged by the sun. Thanks mom), thick bangs, strange clothes, and hairy legs (until I was 12 and allowed to shave them). But this didn’t bother me, or my friends. We were all sort of awkward in our own ways, but we were also pretty confident with ourselves, we were smart, but not super nerds, most of us played sports, and we were just happy to be ourselves. Life hadn't turned into a place full of judgement for us yet, we hadn't felt pressure to live up to expectations yet, we just had a good time having sleepovers, watching scary movies and freezing peoples bras. We couldn’t wait to grow up, but were happy right where we were, content with who we were, and did what  we wanted (or what our parents would let us do), and that was a great feeling, even if we weren't aware of it yet.

I have included a picture to document the awkwardness, just for fun. :)



Day 22, Wednesday: Rant about something. Get up on your soapbox and tell us how you really feel. (a pet peeve, a current event, a controversial topic, something your husband or roommate or neighbor or boss does that really ticks you off)

I thought this was easy topic to choose, until I went off on a complete mental tangent. I want to rant about people. People can be so mean, so hurtful and so selfish and don’t even give it another thought. When did this world become so full of judgement? When did it become ok to hurt peoples feelings on purpose? When did it become ok to not listen? People are so self-righteous these days, constantly looking down on anyone who does or thinks things differently than they do. I am in no way innocent of this, judgements slip through your mind and cross your lips before you have barely registered them, and sometimes I am quick to jump into a conversation without truly listening to what the other person is saying. But at least I acknowledge that it occurs, and TRY to make an effort to be a better listener, a better friend, a better human. Some people are so wrapped up in their own world they cant even do that, and it makes me sad. For some reason talking about humans being selfish led me to think about excuses. Excuses are everywhere, lurking, surfacing and abundant. I am not innocent of this, by any means, but the guilt of making excuses never fails to build up and grab at me. Excuses about eating healthy, about losing weight, about working out, about their relationships, about why they aren't working at their dream job, aren't making that move to the new city, aren't living out their dreams in any way, shape or form. Again I'm not innocent in this, but I am trying to make a conscious effort to find out what truly tugs at my heartstrings, and to let those things guide my life as much as possible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment